Series: Dark of Night, Book 2
Author: Ranae Glass
Published: April 21st, 2015
Publisher: Crimson Tree Publishing
Genre: NA Paranormal Romance
Content Warning: Violence and adult language
Recommended Age: 18+
Synopsis: Isabel Stone’s life is far from normal. She’s a girl with problems—vampire problems to be specific and, now, she also has one ticked-off specter on her hands. Approached by a childhood friend and medium, Isabel agrees to look into the murder of a local girl, only to wind up inhabited by the solitary witness—a centuries-old ghost who is all too happy to piggyback along in Isabel’s body, and she’s not leaving until the culprit is behind bars.
With the help of her partner, Shane, and her crazy family, Isabel struggles to get to the truth, unmask a killer, and deal with her growing feelings for not one, but two, of the sexy, undead men vying for her heart. Just when things are finally falling into place, a huge revelation takes her out of the frying pan… and straight into the fire.
Exclusive Interview with Ranae Glass:
1. Chasing Daybreak, book one in this series, introduced the readers to a thrilling, suspenseful setting where the order of the natural world has been turned on its’ head. What was your inspiration for such a unique plot?
I don’t know how unique the world is, to be honest. I mean, “out of the coffin vampires” have been done before. I think what makes this book really unique is my main character, Isabel. She’s this normal girl, just kind of doing her best in a world that’s gone askew. Her job—and the connections she’s made through it—are very interesting too. She’s a paranormal PI with a vampire ex-fiancée as a partner. It’s alternately suspenseful, funny, and dark. But really it’s the humor that makes it different from other stuff you might have picked up.
2. This series deals with some extremely mature themes such as murder, assault, heartbreak, etc, how difficult was it to write about these, very real, issues? What themes do you hope the readers take away from this series?
It wasn’t really difficult. I think it comes hand in hand with the job Isabel does. She doesn’t get to walk in the shiny places. She’s out on the streets, looking down the barrel at grief, loss, murder, and adultery every day. I think like a cop, she’s just desensitized to it most of the time. But the best thing about her is that she gets knocked down. She falls short and she fails, but she keeps getting back up. She never quits. That’s more powerful than any paranormal creature.
3. You’ve described the Dark of Night series as being like ‘Veronica Mars meets Vampires’. It’s truly a one of a kind series full of mystery and suspense. What kind of prep work did you have to undergo to write this type of novel?
I actually did quite a lot of fun stuff. I did a ride along with my local cops, who were great. I took field trips to the morgue and spent a day with a real PI. I also flew down to Charleston SC where to book takes place and kicked around for a week, just getting the lay of the land and meeting people. Then there’s the weird stuff. I had my hubby lock me in a car trunk to see how I would get out. I stuffed him in steam trunk to see if he would fit and if I could heft it around. I had a friend duck tape my hands behind my back and close me in a closet to see how I would escape. All sorts of super freaky stuff.
4. While dealings with Vampires are the primary supernatural creature in this series, you briefly mention werewolves (which I hope to see more of). What other paranormal creatures will we be seeing glimpses of? Also, what’s your favorite paranormal critter?
Well, book 2 features a ghost, and another non-human I’m hesitant to name, because *spoilers*. But yeah, we see quite a few in the future. In particular in book three. There’s one you may never have heard of. *insert maniacal laugh*But my favorite are the vamps, for sure.
5. Shane, your main male character, plays the role of our resident vampire. Shane also happens to be Isabel’s former fiancé. Shane was my favorite character and I found him to be pretty complex. What are your thoughts on Shane and Isabel’s complex relationship?
I think it’s only going to get worse for them, at least at first. He’s very much going to have to decide if he wants this new life he’s been given, or if he wants something else. I think his relationship with Isabel is a huge factor, but I also think she’s going to be the one, at the end of the day, who has to make the hard choice. I think that’s just who she is.
6. Dark of Night is your first foray into writing in the New Adult genre. What have been some of the highlights and hardships of writing in the NA corner of the literary world?
I like it quite a bit. I was worried that people wouldn’t receive it well, because I think there’s this idea that NA=Erotica. So to have not just paranormal NA, but NA with mild romance, that’s a gamble. But I really think that it will really fill a gap for some readers.
7. What can we expect next from the mind of Ranae Glass? Any info on book three? What about the world outside of this series?
There are 4 books planned for the series as of now, but that is very flexible. Book 3 is proving the most complex so far, and we get quite a bit more from the boys in that book, which is always fun. But plot wise, it’s just going to be kind of non-stop, which is great, but exhausting to write. So I’m really taking my time with it. I will say we get to see more of the world, see more of how the vampires exist in other Conclaves, and we meet a new paranormal creature I haven’t seen in books before.
As far as new books besides this series, you never know. My brain is always churning.
Thank you so much again for allowing me to be part of this incredible tour. You know all of your works are favorites of mine!
About the Author:
Ranae Glass writes New Adult Paranormal Romance. A Southern girl at heart, Ranae loves feeding people, gardening, and sweet tea. She hails from Oklahoma and lives with her family out West where she spins tales of vampires, werewolves, and other things that go bump in the night. You won’t find any ‘vegetarian’ monsters here, her books are best served bloody and are not for the faint of heart. Ranae is the author of the Dark of Night novels from Crimson Tree Publishing.
Crimson Tree Publishing Links:
(an adult division of Clean Teen)
There is a tour wide giveaway. Prizes include the following:
- A bookmark swag pack and winner’s choice of any Crimson Tree or Clean Teen Publishing eBook, and a $15 Amazon Gift Card.
Giveaway is International.a Rafflecopter giveaway