Saturday, June 21, 2014

Descent by Kallie Ross Review

Hello and Happy Saturday to all my awesome readers. Congratulations on making it through yet another week. Also, to note, today is the first day of summer. Notice no explanation mark there, I'm not a fan of summertime. Yesterday I had the great honor to attend UtopYAcon and the Friday Evening Fan Invasion where I met and mingled with some of the biggest and up-and-coming names in Young Adult literature. As you guys have no doubt figured out, I love YA fiction and fantasy so this was right up my alley. 

Among the many other amazing authors I met, I also was finally introduced to the amazing Kallie Ross, author of Descent. Sound familiar? Last week I participated in Kallie's release day launch for Descent, but hadn't had the time to finish it up for myself. Check out the release day launch post by clicking here! Head to that post for Descent blurbs AND to read the first five chapters for free!

Well, I come to you now having read, and been away by, Descent, ready to share my thoughts with you all. Before we start, here's some info about Descent, and our author, Kallie Ross.


Over time my love for learning gravitated toward studying conspiracy theories and contradictions in our culture. My conclusions have ignited a passion to write compelling young adult fiction that incorporates legend, conjecture, fantasy, and conviction.

I love being a wife, mother, friend, writer, and teacher. I began teaching high school English in 2002 and started blogging and podcasting in 2008. I have a brilliant husband, two redheads, and never imagined my life would ever be this fun!
 

  Find Kallie Ross




Now check out the official synopsis, cover, and links for Descent!

Seventeen year old Ollie Miller is ready to leave all of her hurt feelings behind, but moving on seems impossible while living next door to her ex-best friend, Mateo. When curious earthquakes begin to shake and rip open the foundation of her small town, the ground becomes as unsteady as her feelings for him. When they fall, they fall hard…

Ollie’s disastrous attempt to save Mateo’s brother from falling into a curious chasm results in their descent into a cavernous wonderland. Ollie, Mateo, Jesse, and Alexis search for a way back home, and encounter a mysterious tribe of natives. Gabriel, the next in line to lead his people, is granted permission to guide them to the surface. On their treacherous journey, an overzealous elder threatens all of their lives, because he can’t risk them exposing his people, or the power he wields. The group discovers ancient secrets, unexpected truths, and uncharted feelings. Ollie must find a way out or risk being stuck in the caves forever—or worse, dead.


Add DESCENT on Goodreads and Facebook!



My Thoughts on Descent

I read a lot. A whole lot. And I mean A LOT. Time after time I start a novel with excitement, only to be completely disappointed by the lack of action, the absence of emotion, and the feeling that the author is unconnected with their targeted reader. Thankfully, Descent gave me NONE of those feelings. Kallie Ross has given us one of the most original and unique young adult novels I have read in quite some time. For some time now it seems readers have only had paranormal books centered around vampires, witches, and aliens (which finally seem to be making a comeback) to pick from. While these categories entertain the masses, there are always those of us who simply want more (or less, depending on how you look at it). What I always enjoy is a story I can relate to. A story that doesn't constantly scream "this is not real". Descent is not something you will be screaming about (except that it's awesome). With some mystical and supernatural elements, Descent reads well and easy, without being overbearing and too fantastical in nature.

The novel has a great cast of characters. Plain, everyday, run of the mill teenagers with real problems and real emotions. Ollie, our main character has just returned home after studying away in Uruguay only to discover that her social life is a mess. Her best friend, next door neighbor, and love interest Mateo didn't take her departure well and their friendship is on the rocks. Mateo's younger brother Jesse along with Alexis (another couple with a past) are pulled along on Ollie and Mateo's unexpected journey deep below the Earth's surface. Upon meeting the underground race and the society of people who live there, we are introduced to our last MC's, siblings Keren and Gabriel (not Gabe, Gabriel).

At it's core Descent is so much more than just a young adult fantasy novel. I would place it under Adventure Fantasy, the very best kind. Like any good adventure novel, Descent is full of action! From giant dinosaur-like lizards to the mysteries of the "noor", Kallie Ross keeps the reader pulled in and begging for more! 

The only negative thing I can say for this novel is that it was a little hard for me to get into at the beginning, but clocking in at just shy of 200 pages, I caught on quick. The beginnings of novels are always both the hardest to write (so I've heard) and to read, but you have to have them! 

I recommend Descent to any readers, particularly those with interests in paranormal fiction, adventure novels, fantasy, and even YA romance! While the story in Descent does not focus around Ollie's romance life, it does play an interesting role in the story. As you guys have all heard before, I'm not the biggest romance fan, but I'm totally okay with there being A ROMANCE as long as it helps to build up the story! 

All-in-all a highly recommended quick read! 


Check out these graphic made by yours truly for Descent!



















As I mentioned earlier, I attended UtopYAcon in Nashville, Tennessee yesterday where I met Mrs. Kallie Ross and was able to talk all things Descent with her! I won't give away any of the specifics she told me, but I can say that book 2 is already in the works as well as several other fantasy novels! After reading Descent and meeting Kallie in person, I know that I will be reading everything she puts out! She was such an awesome lady and so down to earth, meeting her was a real treat. I was able to acquire some signed Kallie swag as well for later giveaways so be on the look out for that. Here's a pic with me and Kallie last night at UtopYAcon!



Alright guys, now that you've read all about Descent, you probably want to know where you can get your hands on a copy for yourself! As of right now the book is only available in ebook format, but the print version may be in the works soon! Here's a promo graphic for where you can get your ecopy of Descent today! Feel free to share/use this graphic! 



 

Add DESCENT on Goodreads and Facebook!

 
Are you ready for more? Head over to the Amazon and Barnes & Noble links below to order your copy of Descent today! 
 
Alright guys, that's all I have for you on the topic of Descent by Kallie Ross! I would really love to hear from anyone who reads this incredible novel so we can talk all about it! After you read it be sure to review it on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble! Review always are huge helps to authors. Recommend this to friends, they won't be disappointed! Until next time, Happy Reading!

-Ethan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment