Thursday, March 17, 2016

Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case (Jayne Frost #1) by Kristen Painter Review

Hey readers! Ethan here with another review for you awesome folks. Tonight's review comes to us from one of my new favorite authors. A lady who honestly has crafted one of the most unique paranormal series I've ever read. Who? The incredibly talented Kristen Painter! I'm absolutely obsessed with her Nocturne Falls series so imagine how I felt when I learned of the spin-off! Up on the chopping block this time? Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case, the first installment in Painter's newest Jayne Frost series. Before we get to my thoughts, here's a bit about the novel and our author:

Welcome to Nocturne Falls, the town that celebrates Halloween 365 days a year.

Jayne Frost is a lot of things. Winter elf, Jack Frost’s daughter, Santa Claus’s niece, heir to the Winter Throne and now…private investigator. Sort of.

Needing someone he can trust, her father sends her undercover to Nocturne Falls to find out why employees at the Santa’s Workshop toy store are going missing.

Doing that requires getting to know the town, which leads to interesting encounters with a sexy vampire, an old flame, and an elevator that’s strictly off-limits. The more Jayne finds out, the more questions she has, but the answers lead her deeper into danger.

Will her magic save her? Or will she come up cold?
          

 Kristen Painter



Kristen Painter likes to balance her obsessions with shoes and cats by making the lives of her characters miserable and surprising her readers with interesting twists. She currently writes award-winning paranormal romance and urban fantasy.








*****
My Thoughts:

Anyone who follows this blog knows that last year I was introduced to Kristen Painter and her Nocturne Falls series for the first time. I fell in love with every word and haven't looked back since. Wow. Just wow. I can't get enough. I've read and reread these novels so many times that I can't help but shout about them from the rooftops. You guys can't even begin to understand the excitement I felt upon learning that Painter was releasing a spin-off series in the same literary world! An awesome paranormal mystery series that was sure to impress, but would it have the same impact as Nocturne Falls?

Absolutely!

I have to say that I really didn't know what to expect when I started this one. While it lives within the world Painter has crafted through five previous novels, it definitely blazes a trail all its' own. From the very first chapter we're introduced to an entirely different type of paranormal creature: elves. Not just any elves: Winter Elves. North Pole-Santa-Winter Wonderland kind of elves. With all the paranormal awesome that Painter has unleashed previously I shouldn't have been surprised by this bold move by Painter, but it definitely surprised me in the best possibly way. I love Christmas so having the chance to intermingle that Christmas theme with Nocturne Fall's Halloween spirit was an amazing combination!

I have to say, I think the characters in this novel were some of my favorite from Painter yet, particularly Jayne. Jayne Frost, daughter of Jack Frost and niece to Kris Kringle himself, is about as awesome as heroines come. She's intelligent, independent, and pretty doggone fearless. It was really awesome to read such a well rounded character's development through the story. One of my favorite parts about Painter and her writing style is that she can craft an incredible story full of amazing characters without bogging the stories down with details. It's very evident to me, as a reader and fan, that Painter is in love with her stories as it shows. They're non-stop fun from start to finish. But back to the characters, Painter doesn't mess around with convention or the confines the genre may present. She gives us the characters she wants to write and for that I have mad respect. The supporting cast of this first novel was awesome and while I was on the fence about some character, I really grew to appreciate each of them by the novel's gripping finale. 

Painter continues to knock it out of the park with her settings within Nocturne Falls. I never know what she'll come up with next. I actually am kind of hoping for some sort of Nocturne Falls map one day, I know it'd sure be a place on my bucket list to visit. We see many familiar faces in this novel and travel to places we've seen before. Except this time we get to see them with an entirely new set of eyes and in a mystery aspect. When everyone is a suspect, Nocturne Falls turns into quite a different place!

Above all, this read was just great fun. It was a fast read that I devoured in one sitting. I cannot wait to see what direction Painter takes with the remainder of this series. I know that this reader will absolutely be devouring each passing installment. This being said, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I am granting Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case a glowing 5-star review. An excellent start to what I know will be an incredible new series from Painter! Don't miss out, add this one to your TBR today!

*****

Alright folks, that's all I have for you today on the topic of Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case by the incredible Kristen Painter. It's always such a pleasure to devour one of her latest releases. Huge thanks to Kristen and her team for supplying me with a copy in exchange for my review and to all of you for stopping by! Until next time, Happy Reading!

-Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment