Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Castle for Dragons (The Dragons of Eternity: The First Archive) by Julie Wetzel Review

Hey readers! I know you guys are all in the middle of an awesome weekend, but mine's just getting started! I'm plowing thorough some incredible summer reads lately and I'm so excited to share them all with you. Tonight's review is for one amazing novel that is actually a prequel to one I reviewed earlier this week. This time on the chopping block? A Castle for Dragons, the first archive in The Dragons of Eternity series by Julie Wetzel! Before we get to my thoughts, here's a bit about the novel and our author:



With a dragon ravaging the countryside, the Prince of Dragons sends out his best man, Patrick Markel. His orders—to secure an abandoned castle and stop the foul beast from stealing more maidens. This shouldn’t be an issue for an Elite of Eternity.

But there is more going on than there seems. When other dragons are sighted in the area, the town sends their maidens to their new lord for protection… and Patrick’s life becomes a lot more complicated. With the dragon he’s hunting acting odd and a castle filled with women distracting him, how is he supposed to do the job he was sent for? And what are the ladies going to do when they find out he’s the other dragon in the area?






          


Julie Wetzel

Originally from Ohio, Julie always dreamed of a job in science. Either shooting for the stars or delving into the mysteries of volcanoes. But, life never leads where you expect. In 2007, she moved to Mississippi to be with her significant other. 

Now a mother of a hyperactive red headed boy, what time she’s not chasing down dirty socks and unsticking toys from the ceiling is spent crafting worlds readers can get lost it. Julie is a self-proclaimed bibliophile and lover of big words. She likes hiking, frogs, interesting earrings, and a plethora of other fun things. 



FIND JULIE WETZEL

*****
My Thoughts


Anyone who read my review of Wetzel's On the Accidental Wings of Dragons last week knows that Wetzel really changed the way I look at the fantasy genre. I've long been apprehensive about the genre due to some... less than fantastic experiences, but here today I'm a changed reader. Coming off the scales of Accidental Wings, I wasn't sure how Wetzel was going to follow that one up. I can say without question that Castle was every bit as good, if not better!

Let me start out with my single critique of this story. It needed MORE! Castles is what the team over at Crimson Tree are branding 'the first archive' of the series, essentially a prequel novella. While I love me a prequel novella any day of the week, it isn't often that I find myself begging for one to be a full novel. This time I definitely was. I would have loved to have seen this be not just a prequel novella, but a full standalone prequel novel. I know even authors have to sleep, but another 100 pages of this story would have really made my life!

Castle, as previously mentioned is, indeed, a prequel. Wetzel has stated that it makes place nearly a millennia prior to Accidental Wings (which takes place present day). The story works on so many levels, but I think the best part about it was its' timeless quality. While one could definitely imagine the castles and village lifestyle of the thirteenth century, it read just as though it were happening today. As I mentioned in my previous review, one of my favorite parts about Wetzel's writing of this series is how it just 'happens'. Wetzel doesn't feel the need to bog the story down with science and history, she just tells the story. And she tells it to perfection. 

As a prequel novella, this was a very quick read, clocking in at just shy of 120 pages. That's not to say I didn't finish feeling fully satisfied. I may have liked this plot even more than that of Accidental Wings, seriously. It was that awesome. When a rogue dragon begins terrorizing the maidens of a small village, Patrick Markel and his men are dispatched to investigate and take down this threat to dragon-kind before matters get out of hand. Patrick never imagined he'd find what he did, or fall for one of said maidens. The plot was really intriguing and kept me guessing until the very end. It was so exciting with action at every turn. Much like a 'one-shot' story, Patrick's tale is wrapped up rather nicely in these pages, but who knows what the future may hold for he and Kathryn! 

What really helped to make this novel shine were the characters. In true Wetzel fashion, each character is crafted with the perfect amounts of smarts and spunk. There's no character quite like a Julie Wetzel character. Like her other series and works, with such a large cast of supporting characters, you never know who may show up in the background so be sure to keep your eyes peeled!

Since this one was a shorter read, I'll cut this one on the short side as well. In this first Dragons of Eternity archive, Wetzel has crafted a short, yet fulfilling tale full of suspense, magic, fantasy, and the perfect amount of romance. A definite must-read, Wetzle has secured herself a place on my 'best of summer' shelf! In a story so brilliantly written, what's not to love? Armor yourself up and get ready to enter the battle, A Castle for Dragons is not to be missed!

With this all being said, it should come as no surprise that I am granting A Castle for Dragons a near-perfect 5-star review. I can honestly say that this series has taken me by complete surprise and left me agog with delight. I cannot wait for the next exciting installment in the Dragons of Eternity series, due out this fall. Be on the lookout. Add this series to your TBR, you have my guarantee that you will not be disappointed!

*****

Check out my 5-star review of book one
by clicking on the cover below!


Alright readers, that's all I have for you tonight on the topic of A Castle for Dragons by Julie Wetzel. As you can clearly see, this is one you're going to want to add to the top of your TBR list, it's a perfect summertime fantasy read. Thanks so much for stopping by, until next time, Happy Reading!

-Ethan

1 comment:

  1. I always love your input on my books. Thanks for the great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete