Sunday, July 20, 2014

Witch Hearts by Liz Long Review

Hello and Happy Sunday to all my amazing readers! I've got another review today for you guys from my favorite indie author, Mrs. Liz Long! Over the past few weeks I have reviewed the two other published works of Liz in her Donovan Circus series! You guys can check out my reviews of Gifted and Burned by clicking on the book titles! Today I am reviewing the amazing supernatural thriller, murder-mystery Witch Hearts! Here's a little about the book and about Liz before we get to my thoughts!




How does a witch stay safe if a killer can get through her protection spells?

Witches like Ruby and Courtney can take care of themselves. So when Courtney is murdered, Ruby’s world crashes to a halt. The only thing keeping her grounded is the return of Courtney’s brother, Cooper. He seeks revenge, but Ruby wants to help other witches stay alive. To do that, she’ll have to reunite with her old coven’s High Priest, who also happens to be her cheating ex-boyfriend.

If that wasn’t awkward enough, when the killer gets too close, Cooper temporarily moves into Ruby’s place while a police officer tails her every move. Cooper’s presence distracts Ruby as they fight their desire against their need to stay safe. Then Courtney begins to haunt Ruby’s dreams and secrets are spilled, things from Cooper’s past that could get them both killed. The killer continues to stalk Ruby and the more she discovers, the more she fears she won’t be able to keep her heart in her chest.


Witch Hearts


Liz Long



Liz Long is a ridiculously proud graduate of Longwood University with a BA in English. Her inspiration comes from action and thriller genres and she spends entirely too much time watching superhero movies. Her fabulous day job as a social media editor includes writing for a publishing company in Roanoke, VA.

Her first book, Gifted, is the first book in the Donovan Circus series. Burned is the second adventure. Her second book Witch Hearts, a story about a serial killer hunting witches for their powers, is available at Amazon on Kindle and paperback.

To learn more about Liz, visit her website: http://lizclong.com.





Find Liz Long



***********************************************************************************
My Thoughts
I'll just come out and be honest upfront. I have never really been a fan of mystery novels. My anxiety always gets the best of me and I can't keep up with what's going on. OR I get super bored by how long it takes and end up not finishing the novel. However, I do love witches. When it comes to paranormal/supernatural stuff witches are my thing. I actually went on a spiel about witchcraft when I did my Dangerous Creatures review and said some stuff that is definitely applicable here! When it comes to witchcraft, I can never read enough. As much as I love Harry Potter, the wands and broomsticks kind of witchcraft doesn't do it for me. I'm all about the natural herbs and spells kind of witchcraft that's finally starting to take hold in popular culture. Thankfully Liz used that kind of witchcraft! Anyway... Not being a huge fan of mystery novels kind of scared me when starting this novel, but the witchcraft pulled me in! Long story short, I am SO glad it did!

I may not have ever cared for mysteries before, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one! From the very first page Liz had me hooked! It's been a long time since a book pulled me in like this. I seriously could not put it down. The characters were amazing and the plotline was gripping. There were very few, if any, slow periods in this 200 page thriller! And I did not guess the killer until the very end. That's rare for me. As you guys know Liz has an awesome way with words and it definitely shows here. I told her the other day via twitter that she could write and publish her grocery list and I would still find it a 5 star read!

A few of the criticisms I have read of this book have been about the lack of sexual content in this novel. It is not YA, so why no sex, they ask? Why should there be? In my opinion this story was great without the need to include any explicit sex scenes. It wouldn't have added to the story in any way (in my opinion) and it wasn't even necessary. To all those readers who serious complain about a book not having explicit sex scenes, you should be ashamed of yourself. There is an entire genre for books like that, it's called erotica. Go look there for your murder mystery if that's what your looking for. This is seriously a sore spot for me. The black out sex scenes are great plot builders that show the mounting relationships between characters without being a put-off to readers who don't want to read that. This is not the only Liz Long book to do this and I don't see a problem, at all. Honestly, I don't understand how some authors can write some of the scenes they do!

Off my soapbox and back to Witch Hearts. Magic, mystery, and a page turner that keeps you guessing until the very last page? What's not to like? This is just another example of an awesome novel filled with unique and original ideas by the Amazing Liz Long! As of now I have read all of Liz's published works and am actually really bummed out about it. Only a few months to wait until her newest upcoming story that I CANNOT wait to discuss with all my readers. It should be around just in time for Halloween! So for any readers looking for a story that's a little off the beaten path and sure to keep you entertained until the very last page, check out this 5 star read from Liz Long!
***********************************************************************************
Alright guys, now that you've read all about Witch Hearts, you probably want to know where you can get your hands on a copy for yourself! As of right now the book is available in both ebook and print format from Amazon! Here's a promo graphic for where you can get your copy of Witch Hearts today! Feel free to share/use this graphic! Click the graphic to be taken to the Amazon page!
 
http://www.amazon.com/Witch-Hearts-Liz-Long-ebook/dp/B00CIKKEV0

Alright guys, that's all I have for you on the topic of Witch Hearts by the amazing Liz Long! I would really love to hear from anyone who reads this incredible novel so we can talk all about it! After you read it be sure to review it on both Amazon and Goodreads! Review always are huge helps to authors. Recommend this to friends, they won't be disappointed! Until next time, Happy Reading!
-Ethan

1 comment:

  1. I won these books from Liz but I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I'm glad to see you enjoyed them all so much!

    ReplyDelete