Monday, July 20, 2015

Twists in Time Anthology from Clean Teen/Crimson Tree Publishing Review

Hey Readers, Ethan back again with a short review for you guys. A few days ago, I finally got a chance to sink my teeth into this anthology from Clean Teen Publishing and I'm pumped to share my thoughts with you guys here today. Before we get to my thoughts, here's a bit about Twists in Time and the participating authors:

 photo Twists-in-Time-Antho.jpg
Title:  Twists in Time
Authors:  Various
Published:  June 16th, 2015  
Publisher:  Clean Teen & Crimson Tree Publishing
Genre:  Science Fiction, Time Travel
Content Warning:  Some stories may include mild violence and language.

Synopsis:  What would happen if time, the fragile thread that both leads and binds us, could be unwound as simply as untying a knot? Would we go back, charging through our own history, changing and tweaking, plucking at that fragile thread until time itself unraveled all around us? Would we create countless universes through which we could live our fantasies—or would we become our own nightmares? Would we blaze ahead, reckless and wild, into our own futures? Would we become our own heroes, or would we become villains?
Join us for a series of stories that explore time, through the eyes of those bold enough to conquer it, and foolish enough to try to control it. From the award-winning team of authors at Clean Teen Publishing, Twists in Time will both entertain and challenge the way you see the world around you. Because when one finds a way to break the barrier of time, endless worlds of possibilities emerge.


Featured Authors and Stories:
“After Time” by Sandy Goldsworthy
“The Fall” by Holly Kelly
“The Kiss of Time” by Amanda Strong
“With a Grain of Sand” by Kathy-Lynn Cross
“The Before Sky” by Sherry D. Ficklin
“What You Wish For” by Kelly Risser
“Tides of Time” by Julie Wetzel
“It’s The Little Things” by Jon Messenger
“Romeo and Juliet Times Infinity” by Kasi Blake
 photo CleanTeenPubLogoSm.jpg
Clean Teen Publishing Links:

*****
My Thoughts:

Since I already shared my thoughts via Instagram on this read, I'll keep this short. Generally speaking, I'm not a short story or anthology kind of person. In all honesty, I usually find them to be a waste of my time. If I'm going to sit down and take the time to actually read a story, I want more from it. I want a full story. That's just me. So when Clean Teen/Crimson Tree Publishing released this anthology centered around time travel, I didn't know what to think. I had no idea I'd enjoy this read as much as I did!

I'm not going to review each of these nine stories individually, but I will say there wasn't a single one that didn't capture my full attention. Each story clocked in at fewer than 20 pages, but each one packed a huge punch in those few words. I was left flat our angry a few times because I really wanted to know what came next! This was my first read from a handful of these authors (Kathy-Lynn Cross, Kelly Risser, Holly Kelly, Sandy Goldsworthy and Kasi Blake), but just based on their ability to craft such a fulfilling story in such a short capacity, I know I'll love their full length works. Thanks to Twists in Time I have added several new books to my TBR. Each story was unique and amazing on it's own, combine the nine of them together and you've got one powerhouse read. 

I'm a little on the fence about time travel stories, if only because they are so... unrealistic that it oftentimes drives me away. While none of these stories was solely rooted in 'reality', each one took a different twist on the time travel theme. It was definitely interesting. From Kelly Risser's emotional journey, to Holly Kelly and Sandy Goldsworthy's historic fictions, to Sherry Ficklin's steampunk, to Kathy-Lynn Cross' sci-fi: there is a short story here for readers of all types. If you aren't a fan of time travel, you will be by the time you finish this!

All-in-all, I can definitely say without hesitation that this was the best anthology I have read to-date. This shouldn't surprise anyone, because as you guys well know, I am a huge supporter of Clean Teen/Crimson Tree Publishing and all of their authors. They really only put out the best work.  This was a short read, clocking in at just 160 pages, but readers of all ages will devour this one! I am granting Twists in Time a phenomenal 5-star review. Definitely worth adding to your TBR! 

*****


Alright guys, there's my thoughts on the Twists in Time anthology from Clean Teen Publishing. It was an incredible short read and I'm so glad I got to check it out. Definitely don't hesitate to add this one to your TBRs today! Until next time, Happy Reading!

-Ethan

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, so much for this great review. So excited to be included with these great authors. I'm locking this moment within a grain of sand. Make every moment memorable. TTFN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Instagram reviews were by far such a clever, fun way to give instant feedback on each story. I loved them! (If you haven't read them, check them out. Ethan links to his page above.) I read this collection too, and I'm so proud to be a part of it and part of such an amazing team. <3 Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Ethan!! Loved the Instagram reviews as well!! Such a fun way to review the different stories. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the other stories! I agree with you Ethan, each one packs a punch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I have read the book now and really enjoyed how each other took the idea of time travel and made it into something unique, something that was totally them.

    ReplyDelete